Samantha and I have something in common: December birthdays! December birthdays have challenges that some people see as extremely negative. They see that Hanukkah and Christmas and Kwanzaa take way from the specialness of their birthday. I respectfully disagree.
Here are some reasons I am grateful for a December birthday:
- As anticipation for Christmas grows, so does your anticipation for your birthday
- No one has ever given me a partridge in a pear tree
- Everyone remembers your birthday month
- December has THE BEST shopping
- No one gives me underwear for my birthday (or socks or ties)
- You get cake and cookies, chocolates and eggnog, and cookies and eggnog, and cookies and …
- Your parents/friends feel bad for forgetting your birthday and buy guilt gifts
- You can party ALL month long
- You know who your real friends are – they come to celebrate your birthday
- You can buy yourself the BEST presents during holiday sales
- Skating parties are cool
- If you don’t get it for your birthday, you’ll get it for Christmas (or vice-versa for those whose birthday is after Christmas)
Yes, there are challenges to having your birthday in the month of December. Those challenges increase the close your birthday is to the actual holiday. My birthday is the week of Christmas. But I rarely felt cheated. I was fortunate in that my family always found a way to make me feel special on my day. Then, came the day when my son was born nearly a month late and just four days before Christmas.
Well, I’ve got to tell you, it was the best birthday and Christmas Combo gift I’ve ever gotten.
How about you? What positives can you say about a December birthday?
And remember, use the Scavenger hunt icon in the sidebar to visit Samantha Warren’s site and participate, you might win a Kindle!